Veggie Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Full to the brim of veggie goodness
This is what I resort to when Maggie goes on a hunger strike, which trust me is not very often. I also make it for HB to take to work for lunches as it keeps and reheats well. It's easy to make and is a delicious meatless meal.
Maggie calls it her 'Pink Pie'.
And loves it when she gets her own little special dish.
Note: This is a thermomix recipe, but I have made it many times without it. Heat oil in a large saucepan and gently saute onions and garlic. Add grated beetroot and carrot and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion quartered
- 1 medium beetroot peeled and chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled and chopped
- 100gms sliced mushrooms
- 50gms rice bran oil
- 50gms of vegetable liquid stock
- 1 tin of lentils washed and drained
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- pinch salt
- 4 large potatoes for mash (topping)
- A handful of grated mozzarella cheese for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Pop peeled and chopped potatoes on the stove top to boil (or do it TM style afterwards).
- Add onion, garlic, beetroot and carrot into TM bowl and chop for 5 seconds on Speed 6.
- Scrape down sides of TM bowl and add oil. Saute for 3 minutes, 100 C on Speed 1.
- Add tomato paste, salt, stock, lentils, diced tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and mix for 5 seconds on Speed 4.
- Cook for 10 minutes on Varoma temperature, reverse on Speed 1.
- Add this mix to an ovenproof dish.
- Spread mashed potato over the top.
- Sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serve and enjoy xx